Friday, February 20, 2009

Gone too soon

I received some really bad news this evening. My friend from school, Jill passed away tonight from a 10 year fight with breast cancer. We knew this was coming. She has been fading for awhile but it's still a shock to hear she is gone. She fought up until the end. But the cancer persisted and spread and no amount of medical treatment or personal will could eradicate it.

I haven't seen her in a couple years because I don't live in my hometown anymore, but my mom and friends have kept me up to date. She was a year ahead of me in school and she and her sister played softball with me and my sisters. We weren't exceptionally close in school but we always talked and then as we were older she would run into my mom and ask about me.

The first time she went in for surgery was June 2, 1999. I know this because my family was at the hospital for my grandmothers surgery. It was early in the morning and my grandma was going in for a second surgery. We were waiting and saw Jill come in by herself. Her family wasn't there yet so my mom and I waited with her until they arrived.

She was only 36 years old. She had three kids. She had so much life to live but now it's gone. I am planning to go to her funeral if I can get off work. It will be like a class reunion except under very sad circumstances.

Life should not be like this. We should not have to say goodbye to our friends this early. Children should not have to grow up without their mothers. But life is not fair. All we can do is hope for the best.

Peace be with you Jill. I pray the Lord has made your body whole again. Your spirit always was.

No comments:

Post a Comment