Wednesday, June 24, 2009

To Love, Honor, Cherish, at least until you get sick of them

I have a theory about the divorce rate in America and why it's so high. 50 years ago the divorce rate was about 10 in every 1,000 marriages. Today it's about 60 in every 1,000 marriages.

Here is my theory. I don't think it has to do with today's morals and values. I don't think its because couples just give up to easy on marriage. I think its because 50 years ago most women stayed home and had no other option but to stay married because they had no income of their own. They were tied to their homes and their husbands with no other choice but to stay married. They couldn't move out and get an apartment or house of their own with no money or steady income.

Most women today, including myself, have their own income, granted it goes to pay bills and childcare and groceries. but if I had to I could live on my own. We have choices now and although divorce is not the preferred option sometimes its the only alternative. I still don't know what is going to happen in my situation but I will not stay in a marriage feeling like I have no alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment